Comparing results from before players were born.
The 2017 Ottawa SchoolReach league wraps up tomorrow. The top 8 teams will play a round-robin, followed by a one-game match between consecutive-ranked teams (1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc). The same holds true for the lower flight of seven teams.
Some teams will have a chance at their best result ever. Here’s a look at the top flight’s previous best local results, at least as far back as 1999 for the most part:
- #1 Lisgar: 1st outright nine times (2001, 2004, 2006-07, 2010-12, 2015-16)
- #2 Glebe: 2nd once (2015)
- #3 Merivale: 1st outright four times (1999, 2002-03, 2013); Lisgar and Merivale had unresolved ties for 1st in 2008 and 2009
- #4 Osgoode: 5th once (1999), but that was out of six teams; they got 7th in 2012
- #5 Earl of March: 2nd once (2012)
- #6 St. Pius X: 15th twice (2015, 2016); this year will be their best result
- #7 Nepean: 1st once (1996), but I don’t have tournament details; they got 3rd in 2016
- #8 St. Paul: 4th once (2016)
I will live-tweet results from my room as I finish them. Hopefully, a live results table will continue to be available here.
Good luck to the teams!
Fastest results in Canada!
15 senior teams gathered for the first day of the 2017 Ottawa SchoolReach League. Two pools, seeded by last year’s rankings, played a round-robin among themselves. The top four teams of each pool will proceed to the upper bracket on the second day for another round-robin to determine the final league standings.
The league coordinators, with a refreshing air of transparency, kept live results and scores. I have converted those results to a database table with my enigmatic R-value.
The upper bracket will have Lisgar, Earl of March, St. Pius X, and St. Paul from Group A and Glebe, Merivale, Osgoode, and Nepean from Group B. Group A was fairly easy for Lisgar, who handily put up another >190% R-value, while St. Pius X was a surprise good result. Group B was very tight between the top four, as shown by some game results:
- Osgoode 270, Nepean 250
- Nepean 270, Glebe 260 (after tiebreakers)
- Glebe 280, Merivale 270 (with a blank shootout- 80 “missing” points that could have been used to shape the game)
Those four teams and Earl of March all have R-values over 100% and should have a chance at a provincials qualification. Of them, only Osgoode has never qualified before.
All will be known next week. Expect more razor-edge games!